Thursday 30 January 2014

So Many Buttons



Does anyone remember the good ole days?
You know when controllers only had two buttons, not including start or select...don’t even get me started on those jerks.
A was jump and B was shoot, that’s all we ever needed.

Nowadays we have about 10 buttons, and let me tell you with short (non flexible) stubby fingers this can be an exercise of pure torment.
That isn’t to say that some of these controllers aren’t comfortable to use, but you’d think controls would become less complicated with more buttons. Well every modern fighting game challenges you on that theory sir.

That should be enough eh?
Nothing is worse than opening a manual (Oh I’ll rant about that another day) only to discover that it appears to have been written in hieroglyphics. On the other hand, nothing is worst then having all these buttons and never using them *cough* L3 and R3*cough.*
Pretty sure I’ve only used select a handful of times too...jerk.

Wow I really got off track, OK so my point is I just miss the old NES era controllers. With its two buttons and an insanely high difficulty which caused severe frustration for gamers. Also it was a bit sharp and pointy... definitely wasn’t comfortable to hold either.

But it was nice to be able to pick up a controller and play a game without having to take out a 3 week correspondence course in its button configuration.

Games are prettier now though, so that’s a fair trade...

Tune in text week when we discuss the ancient relics known as game manuals!

4 comments:

  1. Couldn't agree more.
    I remember the first time I tried to use a PS3 controller I thought I was going to break my hand.
    I think the GBA had the best layout; two buttons, control-pad, and one set of triggers. Nothing more. Nothing less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Video games just intimidate me now a days. I miss the days of duck hunt and simple controllers. I guess I am a little old school and out of the loop when it comes to video games but the controllers you showed only scare me for what is to come.
    -Joanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I remember the good old days when you only had to worry about four buttons. A B Y X... four was perfect, four I could handle but just looking at the picture of new controllers scares me. Also a little scary, the games, what ever happen to Crash Bandicoot or Mario Kart? I miss those days.
    Thank you for reminding me why I don't play anymore, the fear I will damange finger nerves by trying to press all 500 buttons. I can only imagine how controllers will be in 20-30 years :|

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love wii and loved nintendo 64 but other than that I pretty well avoid video games - mainly for this reason haha! They are just making it way to complex and I get intimidated by them!! Great post though!! (Lexa)

    ReplyDelete