Thursday 6 February 2014

We Don't Need No Stinking Manuals!


So last week I hinted at a touchy subject for me, and that’s manuals.

They used to be this ancient manuscript written on high gloss paper. Within its pages these relics held the codex of infinite knowledge... for the included game anyway...

During the older generation of games (Nintendo-early Play station 3 era) these keepers of truth, would contain so much more than just control instructions. Each page would have information on the game you were about to jump into. 
This would be a world history, character biographies, hints and some stunning artwork to boot!

If you’re lucky enough to get a manual now, it mostly consists of about 3 pages. Most of it just legal information with one page dedicated to the controller layout.

Nowadays game companies tend to release manuals digitally on the game disc vs. physically in the game’s package. Companies claim they are doing this to be “environmentally friendly.” This could be true, and I wouldn’t even be mad about it...if the game wasn’t still full price.

Now I know it isn’t that big of a deal, but for me this is just another sign of the golden age slipping away.

As a collector (and a child at heart) I always enjoyed reading the games history, looking at its world map and reading about characters I would encounter. All this would be me so excited to jump in and play.

Pretty sure I learned how to read just because of these manuals...

7 comments:

  1. I agree! I was the same way. When I first bought a game I would always crack open its manual and immerse myself in the background information before jumping into the game. Half the fun of playing the game was learning about the world you were about to take part in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shane,
    I'm not a huge gamer but I do remember the days of my childhood were I loved playing Pokemon and other games on my gameboy colour or gameboy advance and I would read those books from cover to cover. Now, when you getting anything new, even an IPad, the manuals are all online. I support helping the environment but I still miss those days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Michael! Although, I'm slowly getting into gaming (thanks to my boyfriend), I always like reading the manuals from the games he gets. I really miss the days of those booklets....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys, Thanks for the comments.
    I'm glad that there are more people like me out there. :)
    Oh god Jessica if it wasn't for the Pokemon chart in those manuals to tell you the weaknesses I would have been so lost back then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Shane, cool blog. I certainly share your opinions regarding the Golden Age of videogames, especially about the manuals.

    The manuals really did increase both the excitement and enjoyment of a new game. Learning about all the different aspects you were soon to discover was just awesome.

    Man how I miss those days....

    Anyway, thanks for the read and...

    Long Live The Golden Age of videogames!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Shane. So I showed my boyfriend this post, and he completely agrees with you! He still has manuals from when he was a kid and I have to admit, they're pretty awesome! I guess it was such a huge rush to buy them back then because they were so beautiful! haha I bought him one recently and it was $25 for like 20 pages. Unreal! I find myself reading them when he plays, just because they're so enticing. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They say manuals are a waste of paper (and time), but if what they pass off for manuals today is any indication, printing one piece and folding it in two just to cover your legal jargon is the true waste.

    I had a Sega Genesis (not by choice) and the best part of renting/getting a game was reading the manual on the way home from the store. From the plot, to character bios, to describing every level in the game, they'd make me even MORE excited to boot it up and jump in.

    I think the last manual I remember not only reading, but actually receiving, was Skyrim's.

    R.I.P. Game Manual. You will be missed.

    -J-

    ReplyDelete