Thursday 13 February 2014

Physical VS. Digital, The Final Battle



So I touched a little on this whole digital movement in my last post.
It doesn’t just stop at manuals, oh no my friends.
In the futuristic utopia that is the future games will be available over vast wireless networks. No longer will we need to use polish quartz mediums to store data and... wait... what? It’s already going digital...DAMMIT!

Ok, so as you can tell from my last post I lean more towards physically holding something in my hands. This whole idea of paying real money for something that only exists so long as my hard drive is alive seems ridiculous to me.
Don’t get me wrong I do see some pros to it, never having to worry about a scratched disc, or misplacing it...no wait I’ve never had those problems because that’s why I own a shelf.

I think my biggest issue with the digital medium is that it costs the EXACT same amount as the physical, and I just don’t understand why. In essence you’re getting less. No great box art, no manual (grumble), not even a collectable. (Collector’s editions are my addiction...)

Though in all fairness both digital and physical copies have benefits, and an article I found here does a great job explaining them in a fair and unbiased way... Me...I can’t do that I’m afraid I’m far too passionate on this subject....and ill tempered.

 Ok fine digital isn’t all bad, rare games are usually pretty easy to find...and companies like Sony allow “classic” game downloads, which is an amazing idea.

Speaking of which it’s time to play Metal Gear Solid for PSone (Sony beat you to that name Microsoft!)


1 comment:

  1. I definitely understand why you prefer owning the physical copies of games, but I just can't resist a Steam sale. I haven't paid full price for a game in a while thanks to Humble Bundles, so I see the appeal of buying digital games too.

    ReplyDelete