Friday 28 February 2014

RIP Nintendo Power



Hey Guys,
I was going to post about something else today, but then I discovered something heart breaking.
Nintendo Power has gone the way of the dinosaur and is no longer in print.

What? What’s Nintendo Power you say?
Take a seat and let me regale you in the history of the Rosetta stone for video games.
OK I’ll stop with the melodramatics.

Nintendo Power was a monthly magazine, which would contain a plethora of information about all things Nintendo. This would be upcoming games, cheats, tips and walkthroughs.
Often the magazine would have contests you could enter for free Nintendo gear. I remember once winning a MagaMan poster, which my brother later stole...

Its first issue was in July/August of 1988, and its final issue was December 2012.
I know I’m a little late reporting on this, but Nintendo and I haven’t gotten along to well since the 64 days.  What can I say, Sony dug her digital nails in me and hasn’t let go since.

This upsets me on many different levels though. It’s an end of an era for one, but it’s another shut door on fond memories. I know I’m lame, but as a kid coming home from school and seeing the latest issue sitting in my room used to be the highest point of each month.

I know you can read all this stuff online but I’m a collector I like to actually have real copies of things in my hand. I know I’m not the only one out there!


In closing I'd like to leave you with this commercial that...you know what, just watch it, it says it all.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Oh another magazine down. I am gonna miss print media so much. I love computers, but I rather have a magazine in my hands than in my computer. I am sorry about your lost. Maybe as a journalist and PR you can create a new one for print and Nintendo lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent thousands on Nintendo Power mags and probably have most of them still around somewhere....boohooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you, I haven't been into Nintendo since 64 - I'm surprised Ninetendo Power was able to stay in print so long afterward!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You couldn't have picked a better word to describe this tragedy. This truly is heart breaking! I think I can speak on behalf of everyone when I say Nintendo was a huge part in everyone's childhood. Hopefully for those who do still have Nintendo magazines I hope they cherish onto them!

    ReplyDelete